Table of Contents
Work Type | UI Design
Client | Hatsumi
Date | August 2018
Hatsumi VR works in the field of mental health, exploring how VR environments can help develop long-lasting mental health management. This is a growing field of development with surprising and groundbreaking results.
As a quickly expanding field of enquiry, Hatsumi VR is working to create a platform that users can explore in order to express their emotional state non-verbally, simultaneously creating a safe space for the user and visual data points that can be used by professional services to guide counselling and treatment options.
I was bought onto the project to help develop the UI interface for the beta version of their most recent VR experience. Working closely with the development team we schemed to create a simple but intuitive user interface. As this is still in the beta stages, the platform won’t be used in a clinical setting but as a tool to generate more data for the ongoing UX process.
To achieve these goals I identified these questions.
Who is the target audience?
How familiar are they with VR?
What level of communication do they have?
Males & females undergoing mental health treatment
Age between 10 and 99
All income levels
Struggle communicating emotions
Non Verbal Vera
With limited communication skills, being able to assess Vera’s health and well-being is restricted. Her learning ability is also limited with only basic grasps of simple instruction.
Easy to understand non-verbal cues
Simple pathways to use
Practical over stylised
Closed off Chris
Struggling to express his emotions and feelings, Chris won’t communicate or doesn’t have the vocabulary to express his emotional states.
Evocative and varied expression options
Broad scope to refine input
Ability to undo and redo inputs
Simple pathway to use
Now the fun part begins. With all the supporting data presented, I started to create iterations and ideations of hand-drawn sketches before diving into wire-framing and prototyping. The primary question for the ideation stage is how to present the large range of garments and designs in a single linear form that concludes with the selection being submitted.
Once there was no issue with the sketches, I moved on to creating wireframes in Sketch. To save time and maximise productivity, I used wireframe kits to develop high-fidelity wireframes rapidly. This allowed me to have tons of clean wireframes in minutes ready for user testing.